Sunday, March 16, 2008

Read Behling's Speech to Delegates

This is the transcript of Joshua Behling’s speech to the Delegates and Alternates on Saturday, March 15, 2008 at the Senate District 15 Convention.

Thank you Rand & Kari. (Referring to the first and second nomination speeches) Again, I am Joshua Behling and I am running for the House of Representatives in House District 15B. I want to start out by thanking you for being here today. I know that this is one of the first nice Saturdays and I’m sure people would rather be outside. So it’s great that you are here today.

I spoke to you at the Precinct Caucus and have spoken to many of you since then. At the caucus, I spoke to you about what I stand for and what I believe. Today I want to tell you why I am running and why I am seeking your endorsement.

Let me start out by telling you the reasons that didn’t influence my decision to run.

I’m not running because I was sitting around one night and thought, wow, I don’t think I have enough to do.

I’m not running because I look forward to being away from my wife and son many nights at the Capital.

I’m not running to try and gain fame and definitely not to gain fortune.

I’m not running to get vacation days from work, even though I would love a vacation.

I’m running for State Representative to ensure a positive direction for District 15B and for the State of Minnesota.

I began campaigning in June of last year, and have already realized how much time and dedication it takes to do this. And believe me, when I am elected I will give all of my time and dedication to making sure your voices are heard in St. Paul.

I’m running for State Representative because as a Husband, I realize how much people have to sacrifice to make a better life for their family. I realize how much it costs to have a home, by gas, pay for groceries; and how hard it is to try and have something left over to take your wife out for dinner at a fancy McDonald’s restaurant.

I’m running for State Rep. because, as a father, I want a better life for my son. I want Hunter to have a great education that focuses on core academics that he will use in the real world. I want him to grow up in a world where he won’t be held back or chastised for saying the word “God”.

Most importantly, I’m running for State Rep. because I believe that our party and all of you believe in a lower tax burden, a consumer driven health care system, fair funding of education, that every baby has the right to fulfill his or her own destiny, citizens have the right to keep and bear arms, and because I want to be your voice, your vision and your eyes and ears watching out for your hard earned money.

I need your support today to be your endorsed candidate. I need your support tomorrow to tell people where I stand on issues. I need your help in 2 months standing up for me when the campaign season is in full swing. And most importantly, I need your help in November when it comes time to vote. I need every one of you to not stay home and make sure to go to the polls and elect me, someone who shares your beliefs, vision and priorities.

Together we will once again have our voices represented in St. Paul.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for being here today and for all of your support.

God bless you.